Certified Veterinary Technician Job Description:
This is a part time, non-exempt position. Salary varies with experience.
This position focuses on working directly with the veterinarian on both technical medical issues as well as necessary routine responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lab analysis of urine, blood and fecal samples
- Dental Care assistance
- Preparation of samples
- Inducing and monitoring anesthesia
- General nursing duties
- Client education
- Surgery preparation and assistance
- Cleaning of cages, instruments patients, etc.
- Patient restraint
- Obtain and record case information
- Dress wounds
- Exercising/walking patients
- Administration of vaccinations
- Assistance with euthanasia
- Oregon State Veterinarian Technician certification or enrolled in a current program with a reasonable anticipated graduation is required to apply for this job.
- Experience in the field is preferred.
Other knowledge skills and abilities:
- Knowledgeable regarding federal and state animal health laws, and regulations, including OHSA.
- Knowledge of hospital procedures, both written and implied
- Knowledge of spelling and meaning of commonly used veterinary terminology.
- Strong Customer Service Skills.
- Strong decision making skills, particularly in hectic environments/ triage.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases.