Lead Technician Job Summary:
Under policy direction from the Clinic Manager or Owner, the Technical Supervisor performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities related to the hospital providing quality patient care and excellent client service, management of accounting, marketing and promotion of services, staffing and personnel operations, and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Customer service.
- Human resource skill.
- Financial budget management.
- Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Goal oriented.
- Background in managing service oriented operations.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts.
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible and assess the clinic and its operation objectively.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities.
- Must have strong medical skills.
Education and Experience:
- Associated Degree Required, but a Bachelor Degree in a related field is strongly preferred
- Certified or Registered Technician status or a fixed graduation date within 18 months
- Interview, hire, train, review, schedule, discipline, and discharge technical staff as part of the management team.
- Can spend up to $200/month without authorization.
- Can transfer employees to work another position within the clinic.
- Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying with controlled payroll budget
- Dependable attendance is required.
- Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
- This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a minimum ten hour day.
- Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognize people and understand written directions.
- Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over the telephone.
- Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing hospital equipment such as electric clippers, syringes, radiology equipment, laboratory equipment, computers, etc.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the clinics. Job will require time working as a CVT direct in addition to supervision.
Staff Management – Technical Staff:
- Hiring with appropriate references, with assistance and input from Manager and/or Owner.
- Staff performance and salary reviews, with assistance and input from Manager and/or Owner.
- Disciplinary Actions.
- Training, education, developing of staff.
- Assign job responsibility to each staff member, directing traffic in hospital, i.e., patient care, treatments and staff duties on a daily basis.
- Supervise staff to assure that each job is being effectively handled.
- Employee policy enforcement.
- Employee relations and communications.
- Payroll calculations, goal calculations, time clock maintenance.
- Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
- Oversee process of patient admitting, hospitalization and discharging.
- Responsible for administration, delegation and completion of veterinarian’s medical orders.
- Mentor (work with) technical staff in nursing care, radiology, anesthesia, surgery, dentistry, laboratory and pharmacy ensuring that staff is trained and following practice standards of quality medical care.
- Ensure that all patient medical and surgical records are complete and accurate.
- Oversees training of all staff in accordance to the principals of the practices Core Values, clearly understand and promote clinics goals and vision, and that the above is known and practiced by all.
- Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a professional, timely and competent manner.
- Assist Practice Owner with administration and review of client medical complaints.
- Oversee compliance with call back system including overdue reminder calls.
- Modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients, patients, the practice and employees, i.e., modify schedules for the most productive use of time.
- Verify receipt of all inventory and supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and give to Practice Owner or Manager for payment
- Management feedback reports – bi-weekly.
- Perform transaction corrections.
- Ensure that the OSHA and Safety program, procedures and reports are being continuously monitored, and updated to keep the hospital is in safety compliance.
- Meet with the Practice Owner and Practice Manager regularly to discuss, evaluate and plan for the welfare of the practice.
- Ensure that marketing events and initiatives are effective – internal and external.
- Motivate technical staff.
- Review all transactions for accuracy and missed services through regular daily audits.
- Oversee that records are kept up to date. This includes client records with charges, medical history, vaccine status, medications administered, laboratory reports, etc.
- Ensure that the all hospital logs are being kept up to date and accurate including anesthesia /surgery, radiology and controlled substance logs.
- Ensure that system of pulling charts, authorization forms for boarding, grooming, surgery, laboratory, x-ray, euthanasia, etc., callbacks, client cards and filing is in place and all technicians are in compliance.
- Monitor the cost of purchasing so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor technical staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor and approve all expenditures within guidelines.
- Review the income statements and other financial data to find ways to improve revenues and profit margin.
- Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
- Understand, participate and support planned marketing events and programs.
- Ensure that the hospital staff utilizes the practice’s marketing tools and materials.
- Ensure that the hospital staff follows instructions for implementing authorized any marketing discounts in the computer system.
- Oversee the maintenance and housekeeping of the hospital for cleanliness and organization inside the building
- Monitor janitorial responsibilities.
- Attend doctor meetings.
- Plan hospital management meetings.
- Organize monthly staff meetings in conjunction with Practice Owner and Practice Manager.
- Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
- Ensure the practice policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to support staff and ensure adequate training is provided.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases.